David Beckham’s investment group, Beckham Miami United, has reached an initial agreement over plans for a proposed privately-funded, 25,000-seat, soccer-specific stadium on a site next to the Miami Marlins baseball park (pictured above).
The agreement is for the new stadium, planned to accommodate Beckham’s proposed new and, as yet unnamed, Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise for the start of the 2018/19 season. The site was previously home to the Orange Bowl, where the Miami Dolphins National Football League (NFL) franchise played before it was demolished to make way for Marlins Park in 2008.
In a statement after a conference call with Miami Mayor, Tomas Regalado, a spokesperson for the Miami Beckham United group confirmed the new site, saying “we’re excited about sharing our plans with the city, county and community soon”.
Regalado told a press conference that he had spoken with one of Beckham’s partners, Sprint Corp Chief Executive, Marcelo Claure, who told him that the group had chosen the new site:
We’re still in the early planning stages and several viable options still exist, but our preferred stadium location is the former Orange Bowl site.
And a spokesperson for Beckham Miami United confirmed after Friday’s meeting:
Today’s meeting with Mayor Regalado was another positive step toward bringing a world-class soccer club to Miami. We’re still in the early planning stages and several viable options still exist, but our preferred stadium location is the former Orange Bowl site.
David, Marcelo and Simon [Fuller] are thrilled by the initial outpouring of support we’ve received from our fans and we’re excited about sharing our plans with the city, county and community soon.
Beckham has said he wants to build a 20,000-seat stadium with USD$250m in private financing and launch the team by 2018-19.
The news comes after more than 18 months of discussions with Miami’s lawmakers over a potential location for the stadium in the city.
Main image: Marlins Park. Courtesy: Populous/Nick Vedros.