Crystal Palace Football Club’s planning application for the redevelopment of its Academy site has been opened to public consultation.
Last month, the club announced exciting plans to re-develop the Copers Cope Road site, with a major expansion of football, education and welfare facilities for its young players, having secured a long-term lease on the site.
The club wants to achieve Category 1 status for the Academy in time for the 2020-21 season, making it a hub for the most exciting talent in south London.
The full application can now be viewed online and comments can be submitted on the Bromley Council Planning portal. The plans include:
- Campus-style internal and external refit to all buildings
- New classrooms, lecture rooms and meeting spaces
- A new medical treatment, rehabilitation, and sports science facility
The playing facilities will be expanded to include:
- A full-size DESSO main pitch (a hybrid grass surface composed of natural grass combined with artificial fibres) with under soil heating
- A covered full-size 3G synthetic pitch, for all-weather use
- A full-size, floodlit 3G pitch
- Creation of six additional pitches of varying sizes for various age groups
The club currently operates a Category 2 Academy, running 10 teams from the Under-9 age group through to U23s. The club’s Under-15s are national Super Floodlit Cup champions, whilst the U18s and U23s won their respective leagues in the 2017/18 season.
The club employs 35 full-time and 100 part-time staff in its Academy, and it is expected that this will increase by approximately 20 – including eight teachers for players’ education.