Inter Miami CF have taken a step forward in their bid to secure a home stadium with the submission of a draft lease agreement to the City of Miami for the planned venue.
Miami Freedom Park would incorporate one of the City’s largest public parks, a world-class stadium for Major League Soccer’s newest team, Inter Miami CF, and a tech hub, among other components.
This is a significant milestone that advances the mandate of City of Miami voters, who approved a November 2018 referendum by a 60% margin, allowing the City to lease its land for the project.
Jorge Mas, managing owner of Inter Miami CF, said:
We look forward to working with the City of Miami to finalise the voter-approved, fair-market-value lease agreement that provides residents with an expansive public park, 11,000 construction jobs, 2,300 permanent jobs and more than $40 million in tax revenue, while using zero City taxpayer dollars.
The terms of the draft lease agreement mirror commitments made by Miami Freedom Park to the community and include:
- 99-year lease with annual rent payments of no less than $3.5 million (based on a third-party fair-market-value appraisal)
- The creation of a 58-acre public park and 11 soccer fields
- Payment of the full cost of remediation of the property to permit for public use of the park
- The construction of Inter Miami CF’s home stadium, entertainment and retail space, office tech hub and hotel at no cost to City taxpayers
- Living-wage salary for employees
- A commitment to complete creation of the public park at the same time or prior to completing construction of the stadium
Over the past several months, Miami Freedom Park representatives have gone door to door in the Grapeland Heights community, where the project will be built.
The representatives have also held neighbourhood meetings giving residents an opportunity to learn about the project and provide feedback.
Miami Freedom Park and Inter Miami CF will bring many opportunities for children in the community to enjoy the sport of soccer at both the recreational and professional levels. Inter Miami CF has collaborated with the U.S. Soccer Foundation to bring free soccer programming to Miami, including soccer clinics, mini-pitch facilities and more opportunities to engage with the Club.
Aside from the community opportunities, Inter Miami CF has built its inaugural youth Academy set to begin play under the U.S. Soccer Development Academy in September for the 2019-20 season.
The Club has committed to building an Academy formed solely of South Florida youth players, who have the potential to make it on the professional stage.
Image courtesy of inter Miami CF.