The Ashgabat 2017 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games are set to open on 17 September and the event boasts some truly impressive numbers in the “facts and figures” department.
The games boasts a massive cast of characters, incredible feats of engineering and infrastructure, intricate arrangements in catering, and a slew of other preparations completed to accommodate the incoming athletes from Asia and Oceania.
Ashgabat 2017 in numbers:
- 65 – The number of delegations representing countries across Asia (45 delegations) and Oceana (19 delegations), as well as one refugee team competing under the Olympic banner – a first for the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games;
- 6000+ – The number of athletes and team officials confirmed as participants at Ashgabat 2017;
- 140,000 – The approximate weight of food, in kilograms, which will be served in the Athletes Village over the course of the Game;
- 21 – the number of sports slated for the Ashgabat 2017 program, including everything from Belt Wrestling to Track Cycling, with four of those sports part of the Olympic Games programme;
- 12 – the number of days of days of competition;
- 351 – medal events;
- 1,870 – medals awarded to the competitors;
- 15 – the number of venues which will host Ashgabat 2017 competitions, spread out across the 1.5km2 Ashgabat Olympic Complex. 13 venues are newly built, state of the art facilities on par with the best in the world, while two facilities have been fully upgraded for the Games;
- 45,000 – the number of seats in the spectacular Ashgabat Olympic Stadium;
- 700,000 – the number of tickets available for spectators to view the 220 sport sessions on the Ashgabat 2017 programme;
- 7,000 – the cast of performers and organisers who will take part in the Ashgabat 2017 Opening and Closing Ceremonies;
- 8,000 – the number of the devoted volunteers know as First Stars who will be working alongside 20,000 contractors to help deliver the best ever AIMAG.
While this is just a small selection of the impressive numbers behind the Games, it gives an idea of the size and scope of one of the world’s premier sporting events. With just 10 days to go before the start of Ashgabat 2017, all the pieces and players are coming together nicely to make for what is sure to be an incredible experience.
The Ashgabat 2017 5th Asian Indoor & Martial Arts Games are the fifth edition of the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games, and will take place in Turkmenistan from 17–27 September 2017.
There will be 21 sports at Ashgabat 2017 across 15 venues over 12 days of competition. The 21 sports are 3×3 Basketball, Belt Wrestling, Billiard Sports, Bowling, Chess, DanceSport, Equestrian Jumping, Futsal, Indoor Athletics, Indoor Tennis, Ju-Jitsu, Kickboxing, Kurash, Muay, Sambo, Short Course Swimming, Taekwondo, Track Cycling Traditional Wrestling, Weightlifting and Wrestling.
Ashgabat was awarded the Games by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) in 2010. The 5th AIMAG Executive Committee will organise and run the Games in cooperation with the OCA.