Monumental Sports & Entertainment has completed the second phase of renovations and cutting-edge upgrades to the fan experience at Capital One Arena.
Capital One Arena is the home arena of the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League, the Washington Wizards of the National Basketball Association, the Georgetown University men’s basketball team, and the Washington Valor of the Arena Football League.
The upgrades were carried out as part of an additional $30 million renovation investment in the venue, complementing the $40 million renovation at the arena in the summer of 2018.
Capital One Arena has utilised the latest in LED video technology to completely transform the in-arena experience and bring fans closer than ever to all the action.
The commitment to best-in-class LED displays began with Phase I Renovations which updated more than 350 arena network television screens, 85 98-inch screens, 50 55-inch screens and 23 large format LED boards around the concourse, allowing fans to experience the best of sports technology as they enjoy one of the premier arenas in the country.
As part of phase 2, a revolutionary new centre-hung scoreboard has been installed. It features:
- One of the largest 360-degree continuous video screen of any arena in the United States with over 7,000 total square feet of SMART LED display;
- Eight distinct display areas, delivering not just video of the action but real-time stats, scores, and updates;
- First ever 4mm pixel pitch with eight sizes and a retractable display;
- Ability to retract for customised and enhanced fan entertainment;
- Sightlines for VIP seatholders to underbelly screens for live game and replay action;
- Revolutionary Two-Sided DualTV™ Boards: Four state-of-the-art two-sided, curved DualTV boards in the corners of the arena will ensure every fan has a premium view of all the action and feature live action, statistics, betting lines and other news items. The boards boast more than 2,200 square feet of HD LED video display arena-side and the first back-side LED video display in the industry. Over 1,000 square feet of HD LED video display on the back-side will deliver stats and scores alongside live action;
- A Gravity-Defying SkyRing Display: For the first time in an indoor arena, Capital One Arena features an incredible SkyRing that will feature over 9,000 square feet of LED video, wrapping the roofline of the arena bowl;
- Measures 390 feet in diameter – the largest display in any U.S. arena to date;
- Wrapped to Perfection Ribbon Boards: All ribbon boards received an update with new, unrivaled 10mm LED boards delivering an exceptional picture for fans.
- Updated Upper and Lower Fascia ribbons with 1,600ft2 of brand-new LED;
- Addition of two new end zone ribbons adding more than 1,040 additional square feet of LED display to Capital One Arena.
All sports and seating lighting was replaced with new LED lighting with tunable white fixtures for customisable sports lighting and olour-changing LED lights for customised arena bowl lighting.
The Kettler Loft 200 level concourse joined the previously-renovated 100 and 400 levels in receiving a complete makeover, including new flooring, new lighting, and sleek new décor. Suites also received new seats and carpeting.
David Touhey, president – venues, Monumental Sports & Entertainment, said:
With this latest round of renovations and upgrades at Capital One Arena, we have raised the game once again in terms of best-in-class arena experience for sports and entertainment. Features such as one of the largest 360-degree continuous screen in sports and access to live action, stats and betting lines via dual-vision corner boards and the 9,000 square foot SkyRing make Capital One Arena one of the top digitally-integrated venues in the world.
Joseph Bocko, president – Colosseo USA, Inc., said:
An essential piece of the puzzle towards an ultimate fan experience at Capital One Arena was to create a web of digital media, where fan engagement and interactivity grab the eye of every visitor.
Colosseo’s unique innovations in centerhung video board design and LED SkyRing are setting a bar in applied technologies for sports and entertainment venues of the future. Colosseo is proud to assist Capital One Arena in becoming the most advanced venue in regards to the capabilities of applied technologies.
Monumental and Aramark also announced enhancements to the food and beverage experience at Capital One Arena, which include the addition of Founding Spirits, Logan’s Sausage Company, and Ben’s Chili Bowl.