Saracens Rugby Club has won planning permission and secured funding in partnership with Barnet Council to renovate the West Stand at Allianz Park.
The club aims to start the construction phase at the end of the current rugby season (summer of 2019) with completion anticipated in 2020.
Matches will continue to be played at Allianz Park during this period.
The current West Stand at the multi-purpose stadium in North London will be transformed into a modern, fit for purpose event facility and community hub for education, sporting and outreach activities.
The £23 million redevelopment project will include:
- A fully accessible, weatherproof facility for 3,000 spectators;
- First-class hospitality experience;
- A centre of excellence for Middlesex University’s London Sport Institute and Health Faculty that includes a purpose built simulation suite;
- A dedicated education centre operated by the award-winning Saracens Sport Foundation
- Improved training, medical and competition facilities for all users including athletics, rugby and community sport;
- The creation of a community garden designed by local school children;
- A new media facility.
Saracens chief executive officer Mitesh Velani said:
We have been working closely with Barnet Council and our community partners developing plans for the West Stand that we can all be proud of. I am delighted we have made positive strides forward.
The West Stand redevelopment project demonstrates our continued commitment to providing the best environment for our teams to thrive, a modern home where our fans create memories together and extending community initiatives that improve the lives of people in North London.
James Kennedy, Middlesex University’s chief financial officer, commented:
Middlesex University has been working with Saracens on this project for several years. Together we have developed an exciting proposal for the West Stand and we are very pleased that London Borough of Barnet have been able to support us. The three organisations working together offer an exciting opportunity to make a real difference to Copthall and the Borough.