Sydney’s ANZ Stadium is set to host more than 40 major sporting and entertainment events in 2014 and the venue operator reports ongoing negotiations to bring more world-class football games and front-line entertainers. 2014 events already confirmed include:
• Sydney’s only T20 international between Australia and England, Sunday 2nd February
• Rapture featuring rap king Eminem, Saturday 22nd February
• NRL opening weekend triple-header, Sunday 9th March
• Buddy Franklin’s first home game for the Sydney Swans, Saturday 29th March
• Six Sunday afternoon NRL games including the Mother’s Day derby between the Dragons and the Bulldogs, Sunday 11th May
• The crucial Game II of State of Origin, Blues v Maroons, Wednesday 18th June
• The Waratahs’ two biggest Super Rugby games, Saturday 1st March and Saturday 28th June)
• The opening Bledisloe Cup match, Wallabies v All Blacks, Saturday 16th August)
• NRL Grand Final, Sunday 5th October
• Monster Jam monster trucks spectacular, Saturday 18th October.
ANZ Managing Director Daryl Kerry explained:
The foundations are in place for another mighty year in 2014. We are in discussions with FFA about a potential Socceroos farewell game in the lead-up to the World Cup, and on the back of the success of the Manchester United game, we are also involved in talks with some of the superpowers of world football and are hopeful that we will host more major European clubs in coming years.
Of course, also already confirmed is the 2015 AFC Asian Cup, one of the world’s biggest football tournaments, with seven matches scheduled for ANZ Stadium in January, including a semi-final and the final.
ANZ Stadium sporting ambassador Israel Folau said:
I’ve had the pleasure of playing some of the biggest games of my career across three football codes at ANZ Stadium and it’s exciting for everyone that Sydney will again host so many major sporting events in 2014.
The event experience at ANZ Stadium will be greatly enhanced in 2014 by a cutting edge Cisco connected Wi-Fi solution, to be introduced in time for the NRL kickoff.
Fans can also immerse themselves in the action in the comfort of their Centreline Seat and Zone Box, complete with prime viewing, exclusive meal and dining options, access to VIP areas and more.
ANZ updated its sound system last year (pictured) with the help of D&B Audio. Check out the details in the Winter showcase issue of PanStadia & Arena Management magazine.