The much-anticipated opening of Allianz Parque, ‘home’ to soccer team Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras, finally took place last month with an opening game and two sold-out Paul McCartney concerts.
It is one of the most modern multipurpose venues in Brazil, capable of hosting concerts, conferences and soccer events; meeting FIFA standards to host international matches.
Construction began in 2010 and was completed in November 2014. The building work was done by WTorre Properties/Arenas, part of the WTorre Group, and is located on the same site of the origial Palestra Italia Stadium.
The first official game at Allianz Parque was held on November 19, 2014, between Palmeiras and Sport Recife of the Brazilian Soccer Championship, which saw the hosts lose 0:2.
Allianz Parque: Stadium Facts:
- The new home for Palmeiras
- Built over the site of former Palestra Italia Stadium
- 45,000 seats with the ability to reduce down to a 12,000-seat amphitheatre
- Media and Convention Centre building attached
- Located in the Barra Funda district of Sao Paulo
- Palmeiras opened the building on November 19, 2014, with a sold-out match against Sport (Recife)
- Paul McCartney sang at two sold-out shows at the stadium on 25 and 26 November (the promoter was Plan Music)
- Over 130,000 fans entered the venue in the first 7 days of events
- The stadium is owned by WTorre and operated by AEG
- Gourmet Sports Hospitality is the official and exclusive catering operator