Austin FC and Two Oaks Ventures have broken ground on a new state- of-the-art soccer park and stadium in Austin.
The 20,500-seat stadium, which is expected to open in Spring 2021, will be owned by the City of Austin and operated by Austin FC, the first major league team in Austin and the 27th club to join Major League Soccer (MLS).
The multipurpose stadium located in North Austin, which will be built with a natural grass playing surface, has been strategically designed to accommodate a variety of community and spectator events.
These include professional and amateur soccer events ranging from MLS to US Men’s National Team (USMNT) and US Women’s National Team (USWNT) matches to high school soccer; additional professional and amateur sporting events; concerts ranging from headliner acts to festivals to smaller up-and-coming shows; community activities and cultural events; and functions such as corporate meetings.
Internal and external features of this development include:
- Eight acres of open and green space, including trails and public accessibility and a performance and gathering area immediately adjoining the stadium
- Unique design and signature canopy structure which offers shade and coverage from inclement weather and which will also promote an unequaled event atmosphere
- Fan-focused, intimate stadium seating environment and all-natural grass playing surface
- Austin FC team store featuring the largest selections of Austin FC merchandise that will be open to the general public on non-matchdays
- LEED certification status
- Stadium and landscape designs which showcase local materials and vegetation
- Three climate-controlled club lounges programmable for Austin FC matches and other events
- Eco-friendly elements including a storm-management system that reduces impact into creeks, lakes and aquifers, and drought tolerant site lawn and field turf
- Public DAS (“Distributed Antenna System”) and WiFi systems throughout the stadium to boost connectivity and offer access to stadium technology features
- Massive LED videoboard and interactive ribbon panel technology to further boost the fan experience
Anthony Precourt, managing partner and CEO of Two Oak Ventures and Austin FC said:
We have set out not only to build one of the most tech-forward, modern and eco- friendly sporting, entertainment and community venues in North America, but also to make it a welcoming and proud gathering place for all Austinites.
Once complete, this stadium will be a new home for both Austin FC and our whole community. We are delighted that work officially starts today.
The stadium will feature key elements that balance Austin’s outdoor lifestyle with a design that maximizes various cooling techniques and airflow circulation in order to enhance the overall guest experience.
The open-air stadium will feature canopy coverage over 100 percent of the seats, concourses, and plaza entries as well as open corners which will allow for natural breezes to circulate around the seating bowl and throughout the entire stadium. A to-be-determined number of seating products will feature breathable mesh seating materials that lower seat temperatures on warmer days.