Triple Investment Group is inviting architects, planners, students, engineers, designers and artists from around the globe to take part in the Silverdome International Design Competition.
The Silverdome was one of the world’s most prestigious buildings of its time. Triple Investment Group and Oakland County recognize that the site at 1200 Featherstone Road sits on one of the most sought after locations in Michigan. They are seeking outstanding ideas that will redefine the site design through the implementation of novel technologies, materials, programmes, aesthetics and spatial organizations, along with studies on globalization, flexibility, adaptability and the digital revolution.
This open-ideas design competition aims to examine new visions for a campus of retail, advanced technology research, development and manufacturing that is integrated within the community, the city and the world. The participants should take into consideration the advances in technology, the exploration of sustainable systems, and the establishment of new urban and architectural methods to address economic, social, and cultural problems affecting the contemporary city, including the scarcity of natural resources and infrastructure and the exponential increase of inhabitants, pollution, economic division, and unplanned urban sprawl.
The competition hopes to inspire ideas for a public and private space and the role of the individual and the collective in the creation of a dynamic and adaptive community. It is also a response to the exploration and adaptation of new habitats and territories based on a dynamic equilibrium between man and nature – a new kind of responsive and adaptive site design capable of intelligent growth through the self-regulation of its own systems.
There are no restrictions regarding boundaries, incorporating the existing Silverdome structure or not, program mix, GFA, height or density. The objective is to provide creative freedom to the participants to engage in the project without constraints. What future lies ahead for the Silverdome site in the 21st Century? Design proposals should be able to make a case for the historical, contextual, social, urban, and environmental responsibilities of these mega-structures.
Triple Investment Group is committed to stimulating the imagination of designers around the world – leading a new architectural discourse of economic, environmental, intellectual, and perceptual responsibility that could ultimately modify what we understand as a mixed use campus and/or development, its impact on urban planning and on the improvement of our way of life.
The elements and programmes to be included into the site design, are:
- An accessible and permeable site design that prioritizes walkability, open space and resilient landscape design
- Advanced technologies manufacturing
- University campus integration with high-tech manufacturing
- Commercial space
- Conference and meeting space
- Student residences
The Silverdome International Design Competition is possible with the support of Autodesk, real5D and v2com.
Architects, students, engineers, and designers are invited to participate in the competition, with multidisciplinary teams being encouraged.
- Contest closes April 12, 2015 at 5pm ET.
- No fee to enter.
- One registration = One project
- Participants may submit various projects but must register each entry.
- There is no limit to the number of participants per team. Individual entries are accepted.
After your registration has been approved, within 24 hours Triple Investment Group will send you the registration number which will be necessary for submission boards.
- February , 2015 – Competition announcement, registration begins, acceptance of questions.
- March, 2015 – Deadline for submitting questions.
- April 12, 2015 – Project submission deadline (23:59 hours US Eastern Time)
- May-June, 2015 – Winners announcement
- 1st – $3,000
- 2nd – $1,000
- 3rd – $500
This is a digital competition and no hard copies are necessary. Entrants must submit their proposal no later than April 12, 2015 (23:59 hours US Eastern Time). Registered participants will receive instructions to upload their submission to the competition’s Dropbox.
The project submission must contain the following files:
- Two boards with the project information including plans, sections, and perspectives. Participants are encouraged to submit all the information they consider necessary to explain their proposal. These boards should be 24″(h) X 48″(w) in HORIZONTAL format. The resolution of the boards must be 150 dpi, RGB mode and saved as JPG files. The upper right corner of each board must contain the participation number (the participant number will be emailed after registration has been submitted). There should not be any marks or any other form of identification. The files must be named after the registration number followed by the board number. For example: 0101-1.jpg and 0101-2.jpg.
- A document file (.doc or .docx) containing the project statement (600 words max). This file must be named after the registration number followed by the word “statement”. For example: 0101-statement.doc.
- A document file containing the entrant’s personal information, including name, profession, address, and email. This file must be named after the registration number followed by the word “info”. For example: 0101-info.doc.
- All the files must be placed in a ZIP folder named after your registration number. For example: 0101.zip.
For more information or to download a Registration Form, go to: http://1200featherstone.com/